Sunday, August 13, 2017

waterthrushes on parade

I don't think I've ever seen so many Northern Waterthrushes; from the pond to the head of the marsh I saw at least five or six individuals and there are probably equally as many on the other side of the marsh. They seem to space themselves out and probably use their sharp 'chink' calls to warn off competitors. At any rate, they are very easy to coax up from the muddy bottom with some pishing or squeaking; they jump right up onto a nearby branch and immediately give themselves away by their bobbing tinker toy actions. I check them all to be sure that they are Northerns and I have never seen a Louisiana in this habitat.

I would say that the Purple Martin colony is slowly but surely diminishing with perhaps only a dozen birds or so left.

If the Great Horned Owls that were hooting the other night are still here, they are very well hidden. Even the Crows and Blue Jays do not seem to have found them.

Two butterflies of note: Black Swallowtail and, glory be, a Monarch.

Eric Salzman

No comments:

Post a Comment