Monday, August 14, 2017

outta here

As far as I can see, it looks like all the Purple Martins have left the breeding site except for one lonesome bird that was seemingly left behind. Someone asked me yesterday if I knew why and where the birds were going. The answers are pretty simple: they're headed to South America on their annual migration. Purple Martins leave relatively early because they have a leisurely voyage south, moving in large flocks and feeding as they go.

One Ruby-throated Hummingbird -- more precisely, Ruby-throatless -- was seen, not near last year's breeding site, or the house or the hummingbird feeders but near the head of the marsh.

Although Red-winged Blackbirds seemed to have abandoned their breeding sites around the pond and marsh, a flock of what I think were mostly young birds revisited the place this morning. I suppose the Martins might still revisit as well but I think that, for the most part, once they have decided to leave, they are outta here.  

Eric Salzman

No comments:

Post a Comment