Monday, August 7, 2017

visitors

Two birds that were common and regular over the years but then virtually disappeared, dropped by this morning for a visit: Belted Kingfisher and Green Heron. Always glad to see them. I wonder where they are nesting now?

When I walk into or on the edge of the marsh, there is shortly a right-hand turn. At this point, the surrounding shrub layer and tree-front opens up just a bit and you get a look back across the bushes and into the woods. As I come near this spot these days, a very annoyed Great Blue Heron is almost invariably startled off his or her semi-hidden perch and, with angry squawks and croaks, the gawky creature flies over my head and across the creek. This spot often has passerine activity. This morning there were several glowing Yellow Warblers, the usual Song Sparrows, a small family group of House Finches, a House Wren and Goldfinches. In other areas near the marsh, I saw Common Yellowthroat and a migrating Blue-gray Gnatcatcher.

The most unusual bird of the day was a waterthrush in the woods, a fair distance from the water. It stayed quite hidden in vegetation and I could never determine the species. I suspect it was a Louisiana, a bird that I have seen in this area before (and I have never seen Northern Waterthrush any further away from water than the edge of the marsh).

Eric Salzman

No comments:

Post a Comment