Thursday, August 11, 2016

refooted

The foot doc knew just what to do to make it better and I was able to do a full walk early this morning. Not that there was much stirring. I did get a good look into the open area in the middle of the marsh hoping to find some young rails hustling about. No such luck. I did flush a Green Heron, a bird that was missing earlier in the year but has been hanging around recently. I think it might be a young of the year or a subadult not mated. The bird flew over to a mud island in the opening where it sat motionless in the middle of some sprouting vegetation, apparently satisfied that it was now hidden from sight -- which it almost was (if I hadn't seen it fly in, I probably wouldn't have noticed it). A little more mud-watching and a fair-sized Raccoon came slinking by followed shortly thereafter be a smaller version -- perhaps a young 'un -- also padding in the mud at the far side of the mudhole. They walked right by the Green Heron but no one seemed to mind.

Also flushed a protesting Great Blue Heron from its tree perch. They do make the most grotesque sounds when they fly!

And finally I'm happy to report that the hummingbirds, young and old, returned to the natal tree where the female can find and feed her offspring. This was the 11th or 12th day since hatching!

Eric Salzman

No comments:

Post a Comment