Wednesday, August 10, 2016

bad foot and bad weather

Between rain showers and a bad foot, I only managed to get as far as the pond this morning where I sat down and watched the terns and gulls over the creek (Common and Royal Terns, Herring and Black-backed Gull); a yellowlegs (probably a Greater) that came in at least twice to the pond but didn't like my sitting there and took off again; and -- most dramatic of all -- a big cloud of small birds on the far side of the creek (don't know what they were) being chased by a good-sized Cooper's Hawk (didn't catch anything that I could see; apparently there really is safety in numbers).

Finally I moved over to the hummingbird catseat (so to speak) which faces the other way. There wasn't much activity on this side (the usual Song Sparrow, Flicker and two species of wrens) but eventually the hummers really did show up and I was able to watch yet another feeding session, this one all of ten days out of the nest but in the very same Red Cedar.

Eric Salzman

No comments:

Post a Comment