Wednesday, July 2, 2014

Ruby-throat and Yellow-rump

A Ruby-throated Hummingbird was again zipping up and around, up and down, in the same area just back of the pond and it even perched for a moment on a twig just to let me know that it was watching me. When I got back to the house, Eva grabbed a pair of binoculars and ran out to look for it -- she had never encountered one out here -- and she saw it almost immediately! A single female hummingbird that is faithful to its feeding routes may very well have a nest and young in the area. But where to look?

An even more unusual sighting in the same area was a dull streaky warbler with a distinct yellow rump! Huh? A Yellow-rumped Warbler here on July 2nd? There is a single Long Island breeding record from the '80s but it is often doubted or regarded as a curiosity. I didn't get that good a look at this bird (aside from that yellow rump) but I don't know what else it could have been.

One striking bird from yesterday's trip to EPCAL that I forgot to mention was an Orchard Oriole. We found it first by its song, one of the most beautiful around. I would rate the Orchard Oriole and the Rose-breasted Grosbeak as our two best singers (from a musical standpoint at least). 

Eric Salzman

No comments:

Post a Comment