Tuesday, July 8, 2014

feeding flock without a bluebird

A slightly expanded version of yesterday morning's feeding flock was in place this morning but, alas, without the Eastern Bluebird. I thought I heard it call for a moment but this time it really was a Tufted Titmouse. The other members of the flock were Downy Woodpecker, Eastern Phoebe, Great Crested Flycatcher, Black-capped Chickadee, male and female-type Pine Warblers. No Bluebird and no Hummingbird (which has also been seen frequenting this area).

A large tern flying at the mouth of the creek and headed out to the bay was probably the season's first Royal Tern. I didn't see the beak but the bird was too slim to be a Caspian and too big to be anything else. Also over the marsh there were three or four Bank Swallows, hunting low enough for me to see the breastband as the birds swooped in facing me and the rising sun. 

Eric Salzman

No comments:

Post a Comment