Friday, June 20, 2014

Anti-hawk Patrol again

The Anti-hawk Patrol (Division Am Crow) was in action this morning. I watched crows dive-bombing a tree over and over again and, although I couldn't see the object of their wrath, I was sure it was a hawk. Shortly thereafter, they started dive-bombing another tree; apparently the hawk had slipped out of one and into the other without my noticing but without escaping the hawk-eyed vision of those corvids. Eventually, a large buteo -- undoubtedly a Red-tailed Hawk -- emerged following by a line of screaming, yapping crows. They must have chased him/her completely away from their territory -- and our territory as well -- as peace and quiet ensued.

At this point, I could hear another kind of call. The Green Heron was back belching or burping away somewhere in the pines. It has been quite a few years since I found a nest of this species but I'm going to give a good try this year.

A single Cedar Waxwing is unusual enough (they usually occur in small flocks) to suggest that this bird may be nesting. Waxwings are known to nest somewhat later than most other birds. The summer solstice could be their time.

Eric Salzman


No comments:

Post a Comment