Wednesday, June 11, 2014

a lot of soaring

A Cooper's Hawk came sailing across the creek this morning into a fairly strong northeast wind. Yes, accipiters do soar. I mostly see them in this mode in fall migration but I suppose there's no reason why this species -- expending in our area -- shouldn't be on the move in the spring as well. Formal spring migration for all species must be well over but there are, I suppose, unmated birds still moving about, looking for territory or mating opportunities.

When the Cooper's reached the far side of the creek, it was harassed by several terns. Couldn't quite make out what they were but not long before a Forster's Tern came gliding down the creek and, ironically, it was chased by an Eastern Kingbird.

Earlier on, our local Crows were in a noisy, upset-sounding state. I thought that this might signal the fledging of young crows from one of the local nests but it's also possible that their concern was that very Cooper's Hawk.

There were no Rough-winged Swallows around this morning following yesterday's influx but there was at least one Tree Swallow working very low in the Phragmites to find insect prey in the windy conditions. 

The Osprey at the second nest pole on Pine Neck seem to be still in some kind of courting phase. I saw one carrying a stick -- presumably for use as nesting material -- and another carrying a good-sized fish, soaring high and calling loudly, as if to say 'look at me; I'm the champion fisher on the creek'. The two or three birds that frequent this new nest are, I suspect, first-year adolescents still sorting things out. The other nest is much further away and I can't see much but I think there is another, older pair out there still sitting on eggs or brooding chicks.

Eric Salzman

No comments:

Post a Comment