Thursday, October 18, 2012

Casa Basso

Last night was the annual Eastern Long Island Audubon Society (ELIAS) dinner at the Casa Basso in Westhampton. This was an unusual treat for me as all my life I have regarded the picturesque statues of the Casa Basso -- starting with the two duelling musketeers in front of the castle-like main building -- with a sort of awe. When I was a kid, these statues (and there used to be a lot more of them) indicated that we were soon arriving at East Quogue (no highways in those days except, of course, Montauk Highway). And yet, in all these years, I had never been inside!

Well, I made it last night. To my slight disappointment, the actual restaurant is in a 'new' building next to the Musketeer Castle that you see from the road. But it was a pleasant experience; good company (some old friends) and a pleasant program. The somewhat Italian accented food wasn't bad and I celebrated the occasion by drinking Compari and soda, my favorite Italian aperitivo. Saluti a tutti quanti!

Because of the dinner and a slightly-later-than-usual bedtime, I got up a little later than usual this morning -- in time, though, to certify that most of yesterday's birds were still here: siskins, goldfinches, warblers (mostly Yellow-rumps; one Common Yellowhthroat), House Finches, various sparrows, both nuthatches and both kinglets (which I had reported missing yesterday but were certainly here this morning). All five woodpeckers as well -- one legacy of last year's Hurricane Irene is that we have plenty of wood for woodpeckers! Also Rocky was back up on his Pitch Pine sleeping post as he has been most of the week. When Rocky is up there, all's well with the world.

Eric Salzman

No comments:

Post a Comment