Wednesday, October 17, 2012

birdies galore

There were birds everywhere this morning -- perhaps the biggest influx of the year. Large numbers of Yellow-rumped Warblers joined the Pine Siskins and American Goldfinches along the edges of the marsh and pond and the warblers were also widely distributed in the woods as well. There were two 'new' birds -- new for the season that is. The first sound that I heard coming from the marsh in the morning as the sun was coming up was the clapping of a Clapper Rail and I actually saw the bird (or another one of the same species) walking up and back across the open area in the middle of the marsh. I've heard various rail calls from the marsh this fall but this was the first time that I could clearly identify the call with a Clapper.

The other 'new' bird was a White-crowned Sparrow.

For the rest, lots of everything else. The main missing character was Rocky Raccoon who was not in his Pitch Pine retreat for the first time this week.

I heard the mystery song again this morning: three or four clear and separated whistled notes repeated several times before it stopped. A couple of correspondents have suggested that it might be a Tufted Titmouse. This fits in with my old theory that, if you hear a song you can't identify, it belongs to a Titmouse. However I must say this is quite different from any titmouse song that I have ever heard.

Eric Salzman

No comments:

Post a Comment