Tuesday, June 13, 2017

Sumer is icumen in

I was out reasonably early this morning but the heat of the day was already upon us.

I managed to make a full circuit by sticking to the shade as much as possible and there were a few things to report. The most exciting moment was the return of the Clapper Rail who resumed his kek-kek-kek calling from an area very close to the pond. (At that distance the Clapper calling was much more a series of 'keks' than of 'claps'.) I carefully circled around  the intervening Phragmites. I thought he was calling from the middle of the stand of reeds but as I came around a little further, there he was right out in the open circling and calling on top of the mats of dead Phrags that still covered the emerging Spartina. He paid absolutely no attention to me and kept on calling and turning -- presumably to project the sound over as wide an area as possible. It gave me a chance to observe a Clapper Rail close up -- not an everyday experience. Our clappers are rather dull gray but have a lot of color on the bill which is mostly yellowish-rad and which opens up for every kek delivery. The flanks and belly are striped and the underparts of the short tail are a fluffy white. As one might say, great views! Close as I was, the rail kept on calling and continued to pay no attention to me at all. Hoping he would still attract the attention of a female, I slunk away as slowly and as quietly as I could manage. The kek-kek-keking, very ventriloqual in effect, seemed to follow me as I moved away.

The Yellow-billed Cuckoo is still calling but I have no idea how to find him. Whatever worked with the rail didn't work with the cuckoo who hides in the densest foliage high in the treetops. Whenever I move toward the area where he seems to be calling, he calls again and sounds still further away.

Both Black-capped Chickadees and Tufted Titmice have produced offspring and both are moving around (flocks of young with adults) in family groups looking for food.

Lots of insects out in this heat so there'a plenty for all. In the butterfly department of the insect category, I saw Tiger Swallowtails, Cabbage Whites, Little Wood Satyr and what I think are Zabulon Skippers.
 
Eric Salzman

No comments:

Post a Comment