Saturday, September 3, 2016

pre-Hermine

Pre-Hermine:

--A medium-sized Accipiter flying over the marsh and crossing the creek early this morning; could have been a female Sharp-shinned or a male Cooper's (I would choose the former but it was far from certain in the poor light).

--A very noisy Hairy Woodpecker female enjoying our plethora of dead wood.

--House Wrens everywhere -- mostly young birds. At the edge of the marsh I heard an unusual buzzy call which turned out to be coming from an agitated wren. But I never got a good look; it may have been a House Wren juvenile or possibly another species; I'll look for it tomorrow. 

--Many Goldfinches but no House Finches (after several days when they were the most common bird around).

--Royal Terns and Forster's Terns on the creek.

--According to one source, the Rufous Hummingbird at Jessup's Neck (Morton Refuge) was a young male (I thought it was a young female but I am no expert in the juvenile plumages of stray Western hummingbirds). In any case, it has apparently moved on and is no longer being seen.

Happy Labor Day Hurricane!

Eric Salzman

No comments:

Post a Comment