Thursday, June 25, 2015

spring into summer

Did I say something about spring into summer?

Spooked a spotted fawn from its hiding place. Yes, the deer are reproducing.

Juvenile Am Robins with spotted breasts are out. Also Chipping Sparrows feeding in front of the house with at least one adult and at least two fledglings.

Picked some Chanterelles, a product (I assume) of the rains a couple of days ago. Seems early but, hey, I'm not complaining.

John Heidecker sent me some striking photos of native orchids -- Grass Pinks (Calopogon) and Rose Pogonia -- taken at Napeague in East Hampton and Cranberry Bog near Riverhead. A couple of his shots are included below. As with the Chanterelles, it seems very early for these beauties but, hey, I'm not complaining.

Eric Salzman

No comments:

Post a Comment