Thursday, May 16, 2013

warbler deprivation

The weather seemed encouraging for migration but all I could find this morning was (1) a noisy Great Crested Flycatcher in the woods between the house and Weesuck Avenue -- a favorite spot for this species in years past; (2) a single Common Loon flying overhead on its familiar southwest-to-northeast track; and, though I'm loath to admit it, (3) a Brown-headed Cowbird.  

Feeling warbler deprived, I set out for Hunters Garden, the most likely spot in our area for these spring migrants to appear. Sure enough, I was only a few steps into the woods when I became aware of a real fall-out of warblers -- something I haven't seen in a while. Fall-out is a manner of speaking since these birds did not fall very far as they flitted from tree-top to tree-top, mostly back-lit, twittering and buzzing away (our warblers don't warble) in a confusing jumble of song and often hidden in the bursting leaves of the emergent oaks. I would barely get fixed on the outline of one bird when it took off and, as I tried to follow it, two more took off in two different directions neatly diverting my attention. The action was continuous and continuously distracting. I managed to identify Parula, Black-throated Green and Yellow-rumped Warblers but I'm sure there were many others

I had previously picked out a Prairie Warbler as well as the local breeders, Ovenbird, Yellowthroat, and Pine. But I was determined to nab something special out of the canopy. Just take your time, I told myself, and get a good fix on one bird at a time. Too late! As suddenly as they had appeared, they vanished. It was a warbler wave in a big hurry to get somewhere. Someone once remarked that the difference between warblers and no warblers is very slight. I would put it differently. The difference between warblers and no warblers was very striking and very sudden.

As I emerged from the woods into the open area, the members of the Hunters Garden Association were busy setting up for their biannual Chowder. They very graciously asked me to join them but, quite regretfully, I told them that I had to get back home. The Hunters Garden Association and its eel, clam and oyster Chowders go back to the 1800s and they are still going strong! They donated their land to New York State with the condition that they be allowed to continue holding their Chowders there and I'm happy to report that still do.

Eric Salzman

No comments:

Post a Comment