Wednesday, May 8, 2013

A Turtle Wind

Wind shifted to the south/southeast bringing in some warmer temperatures, cloudy skies, some on-and-off rain and the roar of the ocean surf. But no migrants!

It did bring out the Box Turtles from hibernation: two different individuals, one at the edge of the marsh, the other on our doorstep! I guess moving from underground to above ground in a time of warmup is a kind of wind-blown migration.

I watched two crows courting on an oak tree branch, making strange little sounds and one bird at least going through all sorts of contortions. These were, I'm almost positive, a pair of Fish Crows (I've seen them before on the same branch). The American Crows are, I think, mostly already nesting.

Derek Rogers reports that there was a Warbling Vireo on Pine Neck on Monday, possibly the same bird that I briefly saw and heard on this side of the creek. Could be a possible nester on Pine Neck? Eileen Schwinn reports that she came down Bay Avenue to look for the Yellow-crowned Night Heron but found a Green Heron instead (a bird that I have not yet seen this year). She later found the Night Heron seen at the outlet of our pond as viewed from the foot of Weesuck Avenue.

Eric Salzman

No comments:

Post a Comment