Thursday, July 19, 2012

in flagrante delicto

I have finally caught Seaside Dragonlets in flagrante delicto. Well, that's a manner of speaking; I didn't literally catch anything but found several pairs locked together. That may be the explanation for the continuing large numbers of these odentates which I still find all over the marsh and marsh edges -- a kind of mating swarm.

There have been plenty of butterflies flying in the heat (Tiger Swallowtails have been especially notable) but I'm still trying to pin down the skippers. There are at least two different species in the marsh grasses and phragmites. One, I'm pretty sure, is the Broad-winged Skipper but I have not yet pinned down the other (that's also a manner of speaking; I have no intention of literally pinning anything down but I am going to try to continue with butterflies -- not to mention other insects -- through binoculars).

Today's change in weather did not much affect the Osprey which continue to be active over the creek. As usual, there was one bird carrying a fish and calling loudly -- i.e. calling attention to itself as a great fisherbird. Other birds out on the pond as the tide began to drop: Spotted Sandpiper and Snowy Egret, once the most common of the white egrets but now vastly outnumbered by its Great counterpart.

Eric Salzman

No comments:

Post a Comment