Saturday, July 28, 2012

a mouse in the sink

I found a White-footed Mouse in the kitchen sink this morning. We have an old-fashioned double sink and the mouse had fallen into a tub in the deeper basin and couldn't get out. I know these mice don't have a good reputation these days but they are 'country mice' and the cutest of the cute; I simply dumped him out the back door and let him scamper away. It's the first one that I've seen since we renovated the house ten years ago but, judging by the daily operations of the dog's sniffer, I suspect that they are more common than we think.

Afterwards I had a rather damp walk this morning under leaden skies but managed to get back before the clouds opened up. There were three Osprey in the air calling and soaring over our place in addition to four Osprey perched on dead stubs on the tip of Pine Neck on the opposite shore. The latter were almost certainly the adults and young from the Pine Neck nest. The three birds overhead were probably young ones from somewhere else engaged in social activities of the osprey kind. Even as I write this, I hear Osprey chirps; there are calling birds almost all the day long.

Eric Salzman

No comments:

Post a Comment