Monday, June 11, 2012

...an ill wind...

Winds from the southeast -- east and southeast are probably our least common winds -- bringing coolness and a mix of clouds and sun. I had an unpleasant experience with the wind on the trail this morning when a previous unnoticed shrub bent over in the breeze and caressed my face from an unexpected direction. I turned to see what it was and realized it was a new, energetic, supple, eye-level growth of, yes, Poison Ivy! Fortunately, I am not very susceptible to the depredations of this dreaded vegetable but then I don't usually use Poison Ivy leaves as a washcloth. We'll see what happens.

Crows are not the only birds with fledgling young. A Carolina Wren, possibly a female, appeared on the trail in front of me calling attention to herself with a characteristic trilling sound. As I moved towards her, she stood her ground and, only at the last moment, flew a bit further ahead and then repeated the same routine. I'm sure she was leading me away from her nest or fledged young hidden in the dense shrubbery. The reappearance of calling Great Crested Flycatchers and Pine Warblers in the past two or three days undoubtedly also had to do with the emergence of young birds; while they are sitting on eggs or brooding nestlings, most birds go quiet. But when the young fledge, the adults suddenly find their voices again -- renewed song, alarm calls or both may serve as warnings to the young but also divert the attention of large threatening predators away from the babies.

Eric Salzman

No comments:

Post a Comment