Monday, June 18, 2012

flower power and a revisit with Curly the Sandpiper

Most of the early summer flowers now coming into bloom are garden escapes or introduced species: Day Lily (from Asia), Rambler Rose (traditional garden flower), White Clover (popped out everywhere after the rain replacing the tiny yellow Little Hop Clover which bloomed earlier), Privet (ugh; not my favorite) and probably a number of others. The most spectacular current bloomer, with big orchid-like flowers that are already started to fall, is the Catalpa Tree which I consider a 'near native'; it's a American southerner in the pea family which, like the Honey Locust and a few others, got here with a human assist but which, like the 'Northern' Cardinal or the 'Northern' Mockingbird, has become a conspicuous part of our flora. I could argue that the Cardinal and the Mockingbird, both typical southern birds, also got here with a human assist (of course, unlike birds, flowering plants don't fly -- although their seeds do on occasion). An indisputably native flower in full bloom right now in gardens and around the edges of the woods is/are the Sundrops, the daytime relative of the Evening Primrose, a brilliant low yellow inflorescence with four petals instead of the more usual five.

The bird pictured here is Curly, the Pike's Beach Curlew Sandpiper. I know it's the same one I saw because Tom Lambertson, who generously allowed me to use his pictures, was standing right next to me when he took them. I especially like the one where a feisty Sanderling is trying to eject the interloper -- unsuccessfully, I am happy to add.

Eric Salzman

No comments:

Post a Comment