Tuesday, October 11, 2011

a brief morning walk and a long evening trip

There was a pod of warblers in a Baccharis bush on the 'front range' and every single one of them looked to me like a Bay-breasted Warbler -- very black wings with striking wide white wing bars and a kind of mustardy yellow color on the face and breast. It's possible there were some Blackpolls and/or Pine Warblers mixed in but every bird I could get my glass on has that Bay-breasted look. It is certainly unusual to see that many Bay-breasted at once but, like other migrants, they do sometimes travel in birds-of-a-feather flocks.

I took a short walk this morning in anticipation of a long trip this afternoon. I will be in Europe (Hungary to be precise) for the rest of the week and probably will not resume this blog until I get back. I expect to get in one day of birding on Saturday so I'll certainly report on that.

Eric Salzman

No comments:

Post a Comment