Tuesday, October 18, 2011

arrival of the White-throats

The sun rose bright and clear before the clouds rolled in this morning. This was my first full morning walk since I got back from Hungary. The most striking change in the local bird life since I left was the arrival of considerable numbers of White-throated Sparrows. They were all over the place, calling and even singing, and rivaling the omnipresent Yellow-rumped Warblers in numbers. Curiously enough, I saw only one Swamp Sparrow (they had previously been common). The first Hermit Thrush of the season was calling in a pine tree; I couldn't see the color in its tail but said tail was being pumped up and down, a Hermit Thrush trait par excellence. Other birds seen included Northern Mockingbird and Brown Thrasher but not a single Catbird!

Eric Salzman

No comments:

Post a Comment