Thursday, April 21, 2011

restarting the blog

Greetings!

As spring migration begins to gather strength, I'm preparing to migrate myself -- from Brooklyn to East Quogue -- and I'm starting up my blog once again. I'll continue to file several times a week at least until the end of October!

This evening, Thursday, April 21st, at 8 pm, I'm doing a program on the "Birds of Israel" for Great South Bay Audubon at the headquarters of Connetquot River State Park Preserve in Oakdale. This is the old clubhouse, reachable from the westbound lane of Sunrise Highway.

Israel is the site of one of the world's great migrations (it is on the major migration route that goes from Africa to Europe and adjacent parts of Asia) and there are also large numbers of wintering birds plus local breeders, many of them desert species native to the Middle East. This program, similar to one I did for ELIAS (Eastern Long Island Audubon Society), derives from a visit I made last year in early spring and is illustrated by photographs, most of them taken by myself and Jonathan Merav, an outstanding Israeli birder and naturalist, who also helped organize my visit.

I was invited to Israel originally to do a presentation of my music-theater work at a conference at Hebrew University in Jerusalem and I'll preface the birding tour with some impressions of Old Jerusalem (there are a surprising number of native and migrant birds to be seen even in Jerusalem and we'll see a few of those as well).

Eric Salzman

No comments:

Post a Comment