Saturday, September 11, 2010

Back from Eastern Europe

I got back yesterday from Eastern Europe where I had a chance to do some amazing bird-watching in Latvia and was even able to witness a significant migration movement of literally thousands (maybe even tens of thousands) of birds. I'll have a trip report ready in a few days but it's good to be back..

In the meanwhile, I had a chance to witness some local migration on today's brilliant windless morning here on Weesuck Creek in East Quogue. I resumed my first local ramble in a couple of weeks I found a collection of many dozens -- perhaps even hundreds of birds. The dominant species were Red-eyed Vireo and Parula Warbler, both in some considerable numbers (the numbers of Red-eyed Vireo were greater than I've seen in some time). Other species -- all seen in the tupelos and other trees at the head of the marsh -- included Nashville Warbler, American Redstart, Yellow Warbler, Common Yellowthroat, Scarlet Tanager and Baltimore Oriole plus many Am Robins, Catbirds, and a Flicker or two. A Marsh Wren was burbling in the reeds and more Am Robins -- almost certainly migrants on the move -- came streaking across the marsh along with Am Goldfinches. Lots of Chickadees and both Downy and Red-bellied Woodpeckers, Then there were the familiar water birds: Belted Kingfisher, Royal Tern, both egrets and Great Blue Heron plus as many as four Osprey on the creek. Although Osprey migration is due to being soon, I think this morning's birds were the adults and offspring from our local nest, all fishing in the creek with some visible success.

Eric Salzman

No comments:

Post a Comment