Friday, September 29, 2017

fall is really here

The turn of the weather from mild/humid to cool/clear/dry with northwest winds made for a big morning with an exciting burst of migrants. But, wouldn't you know it, this was the morning that I had to quit 30' or 40' after setting out in order to meet another sudden pressing obligation. What I did see was inspiring enough. The most startling thing was the reappearance of the male WESTERN TANAGER which has obviously been here at least since I first saw it a couple of days ago. This time, it appeared that the red head was beginning to wear a bit into winter plumage but I didn't have the time to investigate further. I should mention that Scarlet Tanagers also molt into winter plumage (the beautiful bright green-and-yellow bird I saw yesterday could have been a molted male Scarlet) but the process produces a bird with blotchy yellows and reds, not at all like the Western's transition from breeding to non-breeding which involves mostly the loss of the head color. Two new birds: (1) Blue-headed Vireo (one of my favorites with its green back, blue/gray head, wing bars, white breast with yellow sides and dashing white spectacles; and (2) Swamp Sparrow. Both of these birds are regulars at this time of the year. Also seen in the course of literally a few minutes were Eastern Phoebes, Eastern Wood-pewee, Blue-gray Gnatcatchers and Black-and-white Warbler (I'm sure there were more warblers in that morning burst but I couldn't hang around long enough to find out) . Hordes of Blue Jays are still present and still apparently doing their job which, for jays, means finding acorns and scolding raptors. Acorns I could see but I never got a good look at the raptors. I was able to take a walk later in the day but the morning burst had dissipated. I'll try again tomorrow. Eric Salzman

No comments:

Post a Comment