Tuesday, October 11, 2016

sparrows, sparrows, sparrows

There was a big movement of sparrows last night, dominated by Swamp Sparrows but also including many Song, White-throated and Chipping. I'm sure that there were other species of sparrows represented but we don't have a good, open area for sparrows; instead they all work the marsh hedges, well hidden in the dense brush. Th show themselves momentarily when they pop up on my approach but then they take off and only sometimes land high enough and long enough for me to get a good look. I've seen some unusual sparrows here over the years but it's always a challenge to find them.

Didn't see any new sparrows but I did detect a female-type Purple Finch hanging out with the many House Finches but easily distinguishable by its stockier big-headea appearance and the tell-tale eye stripe. And there was another first of the season: the long expected Yellow-bellied Sapsucker. In fact, all five woodpeckers were seen in the head-of-the marsh area making a perfect quinfecta (if that is the right term) within the first 20" or so of my walk.

Eric Salzman

No comments:

Post a Comment