Thursday, June 9, 2016

on a cool windy spring morning

I'm wondering if the mysterious Purple Martin "dawn song" isn't due to early bird Martins flying high just before dawn to feed on the insects that travel high. I think it's now well known that there is a whole insect/spider sky population-in-transit that travels at skyscraper heights -- with wings or with spider silk or maybe even just carried by the wind on a day like this (there was an article about this recently in -- I think -- the NY Times Real Estate section!). Martins often are the highest-flying of the swallows and they definitely vocalize in flight while they are doing their aerial feeding. Early-bird feeding in a habitat where they have no competition might be just the thing, especially since pre-dawn light and even dawn itself comes much sooner up there while we are still in shadow.

Picked out a lone Bank Swallow feeding over the marsh with the Martins and Barn Swallows. Got a good look at the dark breast band (not always as prominent as it appears in the field guides). First one I've seen this year.

Eastern Phoebe still in the neighborhood and calling full voice. I now think the nest may be in an abandoned structure on the back lot of the Aldrich Boatyard across Weesuck Avenue.

I spent a lot of time this morning trying to locate the source of an unfamiliar call. It was, as I suspected, a young Robin on the ground signaling its location to the parents who, would not come while I was in the vicinity. Eventually I did manage to spot the hatchling, confirmed that it was a baby Robin, and then beat a hasty retreat. The adults were in the neighborhood, repeatedly dashing around but not daring to come in until my departure.

Eric Salzman

No comments:

Post a Comment