Wednesday, August 5, 2015

Purple Martins still here

In spite of yesterday's comments about the Purple Martin colony at the far end of our marsh (the implication being that the Martins had already left for the summer), there were half a dozen Martins hunting insects over my head this morning to the accompaniment of the melodious chirping that is their trademark.

Last night was a late night -- it was the opening night of "Les Miserables" at the Quogue Community Theater with our granddaughter in the cast -- so it was hot and sunny by the time I got up and I got no further than the pond on my morning walk. There were Royal Terns on the creek, several Green Herons flitting about, a warbler or two (Yellows as far as I could tell) and a hummingbird that came streaking across my field of vision.

Eric Salzman

No comments:

Post a Comment