Sunday, October 12, 2014

sparrows and kin

Big influx of sparrows last night but, in spite of my best efforts, I could only find Song, Swamp, White-throated and Chipping -- in just about that numerical order. Also Dark-eyed Junco and Eastern Towhee if you want to count them in as sparrows. I'm sure there are others around; I'll just have to keep on looking.

The Junco was the first of the season hereabouts. Ditto for the Ruby-crowned Kinglet which usually precedes the Golden-crowned (not this year). There seem to be fewer Catbirds but Common Yellowthroats and Yellow-rumped Warblers are still common.

I found another white aster with lance-shaped toothed leaves and a slight tinge of purple on the flowers. This might be the Calico Aster (Aster lateriflorus). In the meanwhile the Seaside Goldenrod is going to seed as is the Baccharis or Groundsel along the edges of the marsh.

Eric Salzman

No comments:

Post a Comment